Chapter 09 – IT Essentials
01. How can web tools, such as Java or ActiveX , be used for a malicious atack ?
- by altering the interactivity level of a web page;
- by creating popup windows;
- by causing the web browser to crash , leaving the system vulnerable ;
- by instaling unwanted programs on a computer .
02. Which precaution helps against social engineering in the workplace ?
- disclosing passwords to company personnel only ;
- guiding visitors within the premises and escorting them personally when they leave ;
- keeping hidden from public view any passwords that are posted in the work area ;
- sharing access cards with other employees.
03. Why should everyone in an organization give high priority to computer and network security?
- because antivirus software often does not work ;
- because computer and network security is included in every job description ;
- because everyone can be affected by computer and network security problems ;
- because computer and network security is the primary responsibility of every employer.
04. A technician has downloaded the latest Windows XP updates from Microsoft website . What should the technician do before installing the updates ?
- create a restore point ;
- manually update the Last Known Good Configuration;
- reinstall the antivirus software ;
- change the firewall rules to enable the instalier to access port 8900 of the Microsoft server .
05. Which two actions improve security on a wireless network ? (Choose two .)
- enable WEP ;
- broadcast the default SSID ;
- keep the default administrator password for the access point ;
- enable MAC filtering .
06. What condition can allow unauthorized access to a network for users who are not physically connected to the network ?
- exposed network cables ;
- active jacks in public areas ;
- poor wireless device security ;
- unattended PCs that are logged into the network .
07. What must be done to ensure that the antivirus software on a computer is able to detect and eradicate the most recent viruses ?
- download the latest signature files on a regular basis ;
- schedule a scan once a week ;
- schedule antivirus updates using windows task manager ;
- follow the firewall configuration guidelines on the antivirus manufacturer website .
08. A computer that is configured for automatic updates is shut down during a scheduled updates . However , the update is downloaded successfully without any file being corrupted in the process . What will happen to the update as a result of this shutdown ?
- no cation for downloading available will be displawed when the computer is rebooted ;
- the update will be lost ;
- the update for the computer will be queved on the website ;
- the update will be installed as soon as the computer is powered on.
09. What is a signature as the term is used in antivirus and antispyware software development ?
- a system restore point ;
- a software removal tool ;
- an operating system patch ;
- a programming code pattern .
10. Which security device stores user physical characteristics to provide a user level of facility access ?
- a biometric sensor ;
- a card key ;
- a key fob ;
- a smart card .
11. Which three questions should be addressed by organizations developing a security policy? ( Choose three )
- what items need to be protected ?
- how should the items be protected ?
- what is to be done in the case of a security breach ?
- when do the items need protecting ?
- what insurance coverage is required ?
- what are the possible threats to the items .
12. What are two important outcomes of good computer and network security? ( Choose two )
- keep equipment functioning;
- expose confidential information ;
- allow unrestricted network access ;
- reduce available network resources ;
- provide access only to authorized users.
13. For troubleshooting security problems , what should be done immediately after the exact cause of the problem is determined ?
- document the endings ;
- verify full system functionally ;
- establish a theory of probable causes ;
- establish a plan of action for resolution .
14. A large number of e-mail messages are appearing in the inbox of a home computer user . The messages relate to products for which the user has never requested information . which name is given to this type of e-mail ?
- spoof ;
- adware ;
- grayware ;
15. Which two questions are examples of open ended questions that could be used in the security troubleshooting process ? ( Choose two ).
- have you sharred your password ?
- is your security software up to date ?
- what problems are you experiencing?
- what websites have you visited recently ?
- have you scanned your computer recently for viruses ?
16. What are two examples of malware ? ( Choose two )
- registry cleaner ;
- pop up blocker ;
- spyware ;
- e-mail ;
- grayware .
17. Which best practice should be included in a password protection policy ?
- encourage users to document passwords in a personal file;
- enforce passwors protection at the BIOS level;
- implement lockout rules upon consecutive unsuccessful attempts at accessing the system ; Passwords should contain a mixture of letters and numbers so that they cannot easily be broken;
- restrict passwords to text-based strings .
18. A company network was subjected to several security attacks after TCP/IP had been installed on the company computers . Analysys has shown that in most of the attacks , attackers used network sniffers to extract user names and passwords of critical accounts on the network. Which type of TCP/ip attack did these attackers deploy ?
- denial of service;
- ping of death ;
- SYN food .
19. Refer to the exhibit . What is the correct order for the steps in the troubleshooting process ?
- 2,4,5,3,1,6 ;
- 2,5,4,3,6,1, ;
- 5,4,2,3,6,1 ;
- 3,5,4,2,6,1 .
20. At which step of the troubleshooting process will a computer technician ask the customer a series of open-ended and closed-ended questions ?
- document findings ;
- identify the problem ;
- implement a solution ;
- determine an exact.